14 August 2010

Cloth Diaper Review

During my pregnancy, I told several people that I would be surprised if my baby came out weighing more than seven pounds.  So, from the get-go I decided to start my cloth diaper stash with a good number of Kissaluvs Cotton Fleece Fitted Diapers v2.0 in size 0/newborn, and a handful of bumGenius! 3.0 Deluxe All-In-One Diapers in the extra-small size.

One of the selling features of the Kissaluvs included a snap-down front setting to help protect a newborn's umbilical cord stump, not to mention their design was small enough for even a five pound baby.  Kissaluvs were the smallest modern cloth diaper I could find.  It's important to note that these Kissaluvs require the use of a waterproof cover.

On the other hand, the bumGenius! AIOs do not require a waterproof cover.  As such, they are a really good choice for someone who is new to cloth diapering because they are most similar in use to disposables.  They feature hook-and-loop closures (commonly known as Velcro®) and a super-absorbent microfiber terry internal soaker with a suedecloth lining.  They are designed to fit a baby as small as six pounds.

My daughter weighed six pounds and nine ounces when she was born, so I was able to try out both types of diapers right away.  I quickly learned to appreciate the convenience of an AIO diaper, as opposed to one that required a diaper cover.  And, the bG! diapers quickly became my preferred overnight diaper, too --not because they were more absorbent; I think the absorbency is probably about equal.  It was because the suedecloth lining of the diapers seemed to keep the moisture away from my baby's delicate bottom --something really important for a restful night's sleep.  I didn't, however, like the hook-and-loop closures of the bG! diaper because the sound made when being unfastened tends to startle a newborn baby.  The Kissaluvs diapers features snaps that aren't so noisy.

My daughter weighed seven pounds and eight ounces at her fortnight visit with the pediatrician.  That was over a month ago.  We haven't had a weight-check since then, but her next appointment is within the next week.  I'd be willing to bet she is well over eight pounds by now because she has outgrown her newborn-sized clothing.  Momma's Milk does a body good!  Now that my baby girl is getting bigger and ready to graduate from the newborn-sized diapers, it is time to put to good use what I have learned about modern cloth diapers, my preferences, and what my daughter needs in a diaper. 

What do I need to keep in mind when making my next cloth diaper purchase?
  • I prefer to not have to use a separate cloth diaper cover.
  • I prefer snaps over hook-and-loop closures.
  • I prefer a moisture-wicking inner layer next to my daughter's bottom.
  • My daughter tends to be a heavy wetter.
  • My daughter will soon be starting daycare.
  • Cloth diapers are an investment, and not a purchase to be taken lightly.
  • My daycare provider is willing to give cloth diapers a trial run.
My husband and I long ago decided that our next step would be to a one-size diaper because that makes the most financial sense in our family.  OS diapers typically boast being able to fit a child from newborn to potty learning, or approximately 8 to 35 pounds.  Because my daughter is a heavy wetter, I became interested in pocket diapers.  Pocket diapers boast having a tailored absorbency through the use of various types of removable inserts.  Other than having a removable insert, pocket diapers are very similar in design to AIOs.  Pre-stuffed pocket diapers and all-in-one diapers are generally more satisfactory to those who are reluctant to try modern cloth diapers, such as daycare providers.

So far, I have test driven the bumGenius! 4.0 OS Pocket Diaper (with snap closures) and the FuzziBunz® OS Pocket Diaper.  The bG! 4.0 OS Pocket Diaper with Snaps, unfortunately, does not live up to its claim of being suitable for a newborn.  It does not size down enough to properly fit my daughter, resulting in inevitable leakage.  It is also extremely bulky.  It is available in eight different colors, and these colors are all pastel.  Given how much I have been pleased with the bG! 3.0 Deluxe AIO, I don't doubt that the bG! 4.0 OS Pocket Diaper is a good diaper.  It just doesn't fit my daughter, yet, so it is not what I would expect from a one-size diaper.  The FuzziBunz® OS Pocket Diaper, however, easily sizes down to fit my daughter.  Although it is not as trim as a fitted diaper, the extra little bit of "poufyness" is kinda cute and hardly what I would consider to be bulky.  It is currently available in fourteen different colors to suit almost any wardrobe or even coordinate with your favorite athletic team.  The only color I feel is missing from the collection is a true green.  I still would like to try the Katydid OS Pocket Diaper before making my final decision, but for now the FuzziBunz® are definitely in the lead.

1 comment:

The Durhams said...

Hey Laura - my name is Jamie and I just read your review on The Small Town Mama blog. I noticed that you're looking for OS diapers for your little one (my guy was small too when he was born) that have snaps, suedecloth inners, and are a good price. Well, if you don't mind some shameless promotion :), I might have a solution for you.

My good friend Laura (same name!) runs a home business called TikTacToe and she makes OS pocket diapers with snap closures. They are PUL outers (don't require a cover) and sudedcloth inners and come with a microfiber insert. The cost is around $16/diaper (insert included) and she takes custom orders for colors. The fit newborn to potty training.

Her email address is tiktactoecloth@gmail.com. She does have an Esty store (http://www.etsy.com/shop/tiktactoe) but hasn't had a chance to list any products yet. She's made over 100 diapers for friends and family and I used her pattern to make the diapers for my son. I LOVE them.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at scottjamied at gmail dot com.

Thanks and loved your review.